Air Sealing Your Massachusetts Home
Leaky ductwork steals away system performance taking away with it your investment in high efficiency equipment. For example, a 13 SEER air conditioning unit connected to a duct system with 30% leakage costs as much to operate as a less expensive 10 SEER unit connected to a tight duct system. In addition, leaky duct systems often make it necessary to install oversized heating and cooling systems which are more expensive to buy and operate.
What is Air Sealing?
Air sealing is the process of measuring the total air loss of a home, and using specialized equipment to locate, quantify and repair the leaks. This makes the thermal envelope as tight and energy efficient as possible.
Common Areas of Air Leakage
- Drafty windows and doors
- Holes or chases that lead down into the house from the attic
- Holes or chases that lead up into the house from the basement
- Gaps around plumbing and electrical penetrations
- Gaps around the dryer vent
- Air leaks around the bathroom or kitchen fan vents
- Air leaks around recessed lights
- Drafty attic door or hatch
- Unsealed chases that open to the attic
- Gaps around the chimney or furnace flue
- Tops of walls that open into the attic space
- Carbon Monoxide Testing - Why It Is Important
Carbon monoxide can be present in your Massachusetts home without leaving a trace because it is an odorless, tasteless and colorless gas. It kills more people annually in the United States than any other type of poisoning. The only side effects of carbon monoxide poison are flu-like symptoms (nausea, headaches, and lethargy) which are easily...Read More
- Economy Wins, Environment Loses?
At the Height of the Recession, Americans Coveted Energy-Efficient Windows; Now They`re Back to Craving Granite Countertops and Hardwood Floors KNOXVILLE, Tenn.–(Business Wire)– A new national survey released today finds Americans once again prefer aesthetic home improvements – a refinished kitchen or bathroom – over money-saving improvements, such as energy-efficient windows or a high-efficiency furnace....Read More