Carbon Monoxide Testing – Why It Is Important
Carbon monoxide can be present in your Massachusetts home without leaving a trace because it is an odorless, tasteless and colorless gas. It kills more people annually in the United States than any other type of poisoning. The only side effects of carbon monoxide poison are flu-like symptoms (nausea, headaches, and lethargy) which are easily misdiagnosed or ignored. This potentially lethal gas can build up in any home that uses oil, propane, gas, wood or coal-fired appliances.
Carbon monoxide is produced from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels when a heating appliance malfunctions. You can defend against carbon monoxide poisoning by inspecting and servicing your combustible appliances regularly and by installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
Entry level detectors cost about $50. Wilson politely uses the phrase “entry level” because they do a reasonable job. If you ever read the fine print on a UL listed Carbon Monoxide detector, you’ll understand where we’re coming from. If you plan on utilizing these for your home, you should have one of these detectors one each floor level that has a bedroom, and in the main living area(s). Recent code changes in Massachusetts now require a CO detector in the mechanical area where the boiler/furnace is, on the same electrical circuit. If any of these detectors identifies a certain level of carbon monoxide, a light will come on and an alarm will sound.
Placing a detector in several rooms throughout your house can be expensive, although it is certainly necessary. Even the scary CO detector manufacturer commercials on TV and the radio some pretty heart-tugging messages; families only get one chance at proper CO detection before families get changed forever. More advanced detection alarms are available. Wilson highly recommends low level CO monitors that set off an alarm at a predetermined low level of the CO to indicate a potential problem. This alarm is useful in that it warns of low level accumulation of carbon monoxide and can prevent a more serious situation from developing. Wilson sells these for $189 each. Go to https://coexperts.com/ to learn more.
If the carbon monoxide alarm in your home does go off, leave your home immediately, and seek medical attention. Call your local fire department from a neighbor’s phone. Firefighters are equipped to detect carbon monoxide, locate the source, and stop the emission of the gas.