ABOUT WILSON SERVICES
Since 1989, Wilson Services, Inc. has provided the Massachusetts of Western Massachusetts with quality work at competitive prices. Our primary focus is on premium heating and cooling systems. Wilson’s Services is dedicated to providing Hampshire County homeowners with the best heating and cooling systems, that are both energy efficient and affordable.
About The Owner
Gary Wilson has lived in the Massachusetts since the mid 70’s. After graduating from Smith Vocational in 1984, he quickly set his eyes towards entrepreneurship. In 1988 he passed the Master Plumbing license exam, enabling him to operate a plumbing business and also hire journeymen plumbers as well. In 1989 he began his voyage as a small business owner, learning the ropes as most new starts-ups do. After 10 or so years of routine plumbing and heating contracting, Gary realized there was a need for more technically advanced heating designers and installers. He traveled to many states attending technical training classes, and in 2001 was invited to visit Viessmann’s (a premium boiler manufacturer) world headquarters near Frankfurt, Germany. Also that year Gary traveled to Pennsylvania to undergo carbon monoxide diagnostic training and combustion training, and it became routine to check and tune all of our heating installations with the most advanced combustion tools.
Once Gary had a firm grasp on high-end heating installation, he then pursued technical training in air conditioning. After acquiring the basic EPA “universal” refrigeration certification in Norfolk, VA in 2002, he handled routine AC service calls and installed various air conditioning systems. A year later he acquired training from a nationally recognized organization specializing in air distribution in Ohio learning various diagnostic procedures with tools such as flow hoods, hot tip anemometer, and static pressure readings. Also in 2003 the company invested in new sheet metal fabrication equipment. A year after that in 2004 Gary allied with yet another nationally recognized training organization to develop skills in blower door testing, which took him to San Antonio, Texas. Blower doors are the premier tools for building energy loss related diagnostics. Gary also became NATE certified in Air Conditioning Service, which covers “installation” as well. A trip to St. Louis, MO. enabled him to become a factory certified Unico air conditioning installer, propelling the company to the area’s leading mini-duct installer.
In 2005 Gary became the first contractor in Massachusetts to become QIV certified (Quality Installation Verification). QIV is a new program that the electric companies put together in conjunction with Mass Cool Smart (macoolsmart.com). It utilizes a computer (Palm) driven diagnostic tool that confirms the air flow and refrigeration process of air conditioning systems. Currently Wilson and his staff have the ability to diagnose not only how efficient their systems are, but also those installed by others. This consultation service will benefit those who have just moved into a new Massachusetts home, or anyone who needs a second opinion on the performance of any heating and cooling system. We know of no other company in the area offering this type of comprehensive diagnostic service for HVAC and home energy diagnostics. Also in 2005 he was invited to visit the various Buderus factories also in Germany.
Gary lives with his wife and two children in Easthampton. He enjoys traveling to different regions of the country, and has been to Alaska and Hawaii. In a recent vacation to Colorado, he discovered an interest in mining. The whole family enjoyed the mining district of Cripple Creek.
Wilson Services Time Capsule
- 1980 Gary learns beginner plumbing techniques as a freshman in high school
- 1984 Gary begins the long voyage in a career in the mechanical trades
- 1986 Gary acquires journeyman plumbing license. Job description is commercial plumber at local plumbing contracting firm. In charge of running the daily activities on construction sights.
- 1987 Gary starts work for a high-volume residential plumbing contractor and learns a good mix of speed and efficiency, yet won’t let go of the quality taught at previous employer.
- 1988 Gary acquires master plumber license
- 1989 Gary starts up Wilson Plumbing and Heating. All of his tools and materials easily fit in a 1986 Ford E150 with plenty of room to spare.
Approximately 10 years flash by performing the basic tasks that small plumbing firms perform. From new homes, to small commercial projects, heating installations and small service calls.
- 2000 Gary begins a new path by becoming exposed to industry leading consultants, starting off with the famous Mr. Frank Blau. Better Practices meetings take him to New Hampshire, Pittsburgh and Kansas City.
- 2001 Gary elevates the pace to become a true business-like professional and flies to San Diego and Reno to learn from the industry’s greatest talents. Also this year training is acquired for carbon monoxide and combustion fundamentals and techniques. A trip to Germany compliments of Viessmann Manufacturing becomes a highlight of the year.
- 2002 Gary flies to Virginia for a concentrated course in refrigeration, gets an EPA certification and tackles routine AC service calls. Also takes a course on air balancing and diagnostics.
- 2003 The business incorporates as Wilson Services Inc. and gladly takes on the role full service provider. Business expands into sheet metal. More trips around the country.
- Between 2002 and 2003 flights to Florida, St. Louis, Kansas City, San Diego, Dallas, Phoenix, Ohio and Waterloo, Ontario sharpen his technical and business skills.
- 2004 Gary starts a new focus on home energy diagnostics and purchases an infiltrometer, also known as a blower door.
- Becomes NATE certified for AC service. More flights to St. Louis, San Antonio, Kentucky and San Fransisco.
- 2005 Gary becomes Mass Cool Smart Quality Installation Verification (QIV) certified, enjoys another trip to Germany compliments of Buderus of Germany.
- 2006 Gary purchases an infrared camera and becomes a Level One Thermographer.
- 2006, November the company gathers at the site of their future Service Center in Northampton, MA
- December, 2007
- 2008 Gary attends training course in Connecticut and becomes an accredited geothermal installer from the Accredited Installer-International Ground Source Heat Pump Association: www.igshpa.okstate.edu.
- 2010 Wilson becomes the first HVAC company in the Massachusetts of Western Mass to become an Energy Star certified Air Conditioning Contractor under the Cool Smart Quality Installation Verification program.
Approximately 10 years flash by performing more heating and cooling focused work. 2015 to present: Plumbing is now secondary, with very limited Plumbing staff and servicing abilities. Wilson can tackle small Plumbing items when we are in the home already doing heating and cooling work.
- 2019 Wilson becomes the first HVAC/heating contractor in Western Mass to offer Mass Save “instant rebates” to certain/specific HVAC work (Heat Pumps, oil and Propane systems, call Wilson for more details). In 2019, Wilson ‘instant rebates’ over $100,000 worth of rebates. In these conditions, the homeowner pays Wilson the ‘net’ amount and doesn’t have to wait the 2 months or so for the rebate money to finally come.
If you are looking for more information about your Massachusetts Contractor in Massachusetts then please call us today at
413-584-3317 or complete our our online request form.
Certifications And Licenses Of Wilson Services
Air Conditioning Contractors of America – For over forty years, ACCA has been the nationwide association representing the HVACR contracting industry. They help members acquire and satisfy customers while upholding the most stringent requirements for professional ethics, and advocating for improvements to the industry overall.
North American Technician Excellence – NATE-certified technicians are skilled, third-party-certified professionals, the best in the heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, and refrigeration industry. Remember, you can rely on NATE-certified technicians for skilled, thorough, and dependable service.
The Radiant Panel Association – The mission of this organization is to facilitate communication and cooperation among those interested in the advancement of the radiant panel heating and cooling industry primarily in North America.
National Comfort Institute – An NCI certified contractor has taken extensive training and has invested in the tools to make sure your comfort system is working as comfortably, efficiently and safely as possible. Some contractors may say they’re doing these things, but unless they give you written reports with information about air flow, system pressures, temperatures, carbon monoxide and combustion efficiency, they’re simply guessing that your existing or new system works properly.
Infrared Training Center – The Infrared Training Center (ITC) has invested in the people, resources and technology to create a world class training program and facility. The ITC originally emerged as an operator training course, but has evolved over the past 25 years into a infrared predictive maintenance certification program that teaches operator training as well as infrared theory and applications.
The Home Builders Association of Western Massachusetts is the “front door” for services and information for the general public and consumers of residential construction and remodeling services.
The Quality Installation Verification (QIV) analysis checks for proper refrigerant charge and air flow of the central air conditioner or heat pump systems. A COOL SMART trained air-conditioning technician who works for the installing contractor tests the system while it’s running and takes a series of measurements which are analyzed via computer. Within a few minutes the homeowner knows how their system is performing.
- Massachusetts Registered Plumbing Corporation #2885
- Massachusetts Registered Sheet Metal Business #56
- Massachusetts Master Sheet Metal worker #954
- Massachusetts Master Plumber #10839
- Massachusetts Master Gas fitter #4515
- Massachusetts Oil Burner Technician #028894
- Environmental Protection Agency Universal Certification
- NATE certified Air Conditioning technician #1034583
- Trained Infiltrometer (Blower Door) technician, Comfort Institute
- Trained Air Balancer, National Comfort Institute
- International Ground Source Heat Pump Association Accredited Installer #17565-0508
- Certified level One Thermographer #27777 (Infrared/Thermal Imaging) issued by Infrared Training Center
If you are looking for a Certified and Licensed Air Conditioning and Heating Contractor in Massachusetts then please call us 413-584-3317 or complete our our online request form.